Thursday 13 February 2014

Inoculated for everything but the common cold.

Day one of my trip and where as where the night before I felt invincible despite my long journey, I was in the presences of someone with a cold. This morning I awake to find I am suffering from a small irritating cough. No biggie I thought, but by the end of the day I was not well at all.
It started nicely enough, after making myself a late breakfast and attending my duties to bring my social media stuff up to date, my hosts call and we go out for a walk in the local district to find a restaurant to have lunch. The landscape is very hilly and the sun is merciless and in between coughing fits, my head is swimming and I realise that despite my water intake that morning, I was still dehydrated and little did I know' that I was also coming down with a heavy cold.

We find a restaurant and water is ordered for me immediately and then I am treated to a traditional Brazilian dish (name of which is now lost to me at the moment) which involve black beans, rice, pork chops, some other meat and some banana. It was delicious and I ate copiously, later I would be too unwell to want to eat.

After the meal we go into town and experience the seething mass of humanity that is rush hour in Sao Paulo. So many people live in this city that the public transportation infrastructure has at times problems with coping with them, The infrastructure is actually very good but there is just too many people and this is before the World Cup comes to town.

Finally, with a bit of sightseeing on the way, we head for record shop were we are to meet the man who is re-releasing Hypocrite. By now my body has taken over my mind and I am obsessing over drinking, each one I consume gives momentary relief to my coughing throat and is like manna from heaven.
We eventually get  to meet Mateause who shows are the art work he has prepared for the Hypocrite single and it is fantastic, a really quality piece of design work. Where as the original single in 1979 had no picture sleeve but a sticker inserted, now the single is inserted into a clear plastic sleeve and the sticker design is now on a transparency that slides in front of it. Sticker becomes sleeve, simple and effective. There are some high quality prints of the early Neurotics inserted too. This was very good to see but I was beginning to be aware of how justrough I was feeling and that I had a rehearsal with a band I had never met coming up in a few hours. The thought of which was draining me by the minute. More of this later.

No comments: