Thursday 13 February 2014

Zombies to the left of me, transvestites to the right, Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

We battle our way back to the apartment through the crowds and exhausted and unwell I start to put a fresh set of strings on my guitar. Once done and apparently behind time, the current wisdom was catch a taxi to speed things up a bit, but the Taxi driver gets lost and we circle one small part of the city again and again. This started to kick off my vertigo and I was wishing for the journey to stop so  much. The thing is, other people were kind enough to carry my stuff and so I took on the manner of 'no responsibility' which is wrong because it is up to me to make sure we have everything when get out of a taxi and I didn't, so we left a really important bag behind with all my rehearsal stuff in it.

Fortunately the taxi driver was honest and he called us back. Later I was informed that if I didn't have my passport on me I could get thrown in Jail, I can't wear my jacket because it is too hot so I will neej carry it in my bag, the one I just left behind. Nightmare!


Sao Paulo is such a densely populated city,  all development and no urban development plan so the undulating hills and valleys have millions of side roads, identical corners, back ways, it is a maze and very difficult to traverse. Later that night I am given another example as we are taken home by Diamente our bass player. He navigates in a similar way we do in my home town Harlow, we locate ourselves or others requiring directions by the pubs along the way. Here it is somewhat different. It is... turn left at the coke zombies corner, right at the transvestites plying their trade corner, straight on down pass the prostitutes corner. I have to say that this is only one part of Sao Paulo, it just so happens that the rehearsal studios are located in the city's ripped backsides.

The coke zombies shockingly look like zombies, they seem to amble about aimlessly in the dark in a random fashion, I swear, if I was near enough to hear them they would go... mmmmooooooaaaaaa.
The transvestites and prostitutes had a dark beauty about them, I couldn't take my eyes of them, as though I was in their trance. They stared back with a tragic indifference wondering if we were trade.
They were a nightmare dressed as someone else's dream, Venus fly traps in the night waiting to bite down hard. SNAP

We all dream differently thank god!


No comments: